Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools? Not this Year...

For those familiar with the U.S., you all know that April 1 there is April Fool's Day. It's a day where many people love to pull pranks on each other, and since I'm a very gullible person, I'm an easy target.
I woke up this morning with a phone call from Brian Andrews, and he tells me I need to come to the studio right away. Muy Buenos Dias, which is the Today Show of Colombia, wanted Brian and I to appear... in one hour!
I jumped out of my bed and ran into the shower. This was my big break... I was going to appear on Colombian national television and I needed to get ready fast!
As I was shaving, I told my roomates' mother I had to appear on Muy Buenos Dias soon.
''But it's April Fool's Day in the U.S.,'' she says. ''Brian is just pulling your leg.''
I thought about it for a minute and then got worried. I sent Brian a text message asking him if this was an April Fool's joke. ''No,'' Brian replied. ''This is the real deal.''
Still a littke skeptical, I finished washing-up and threw on my clothes. I skipped breakfast and literally ran out the door to catch a cab. I was getting a little nervous because there were some traffic jams but I arrived at RCN in 15 minutes.
I ran into the studio and met with Alejo, one of the RCN marketing guys. No, this wasn't an April Fool's joke. This was really happening!
Alejo rushed me into makeup, and within 15 more minutes, Brian and I were sitting on the Muy Buenos Dias couch. This was my third interview in Spanish and I was very excited.
So there you have it... just one hour after I woke up, I was on live national television with Brian, Laura Acuña, Jessica Cediel and Jota Mario Valencia. Absolutely crazy! I was full of adrenaline from rushing out of bed, getting here, and now here I was on one of Colombia's most popular shows.
They started out with simple questions like where I was from and stuff like that. But Brian and I ended-up stealing the show, not even following the intinerary Jota Mario had for us. We talked about all sorts of crazy things like imitating the TransMilenio voice to making chicken noises. They also cracked up when I called Colombian drivers, ''brutos.'' We both showed a lot of personality and I think we did great!
Our interview only lasted 10 minutes but it went by super fast! It still hasn't totally hit me yet that I was just on national Colombian televison but I'm very excited for the things to come. It may have been April Fools Day in the United States but this was definitely no prank. This was another step in introducing myself to Colombia!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw the interview and I was laughing for a while after I heard the Ijuepucha and brutos... so so funny!! very entertaining. Tu y Brian como siempre mostraron mucha personalidad y una energia que se contagia!!